daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My Christmas Bear

This very special bear, given to me several years ago was a Christmas gift from my big sister Kathy. Our father (the same Pa talked about in a previous post), had died unexpectedly a few years earlier and we were still dealing with the overwhelming grief experienced during the holidays. Kathy wanted each of us to have a meaningful gift and one that would represent the precious memories of our Dad. She took our fathers Navy Peacoat, from World War II, and found a lady to make the bears using the fabric from my Dad's coat. The fabric made a total of 5 bears, 3 for the sisters and 2 for my Mom. The buttons from the coat were put on the bears vest and the ribbon around the bears neck was made from the lining of the coat. I added the American Flag to the vest which was a pin my Dad would wear to display his patriotism for the USA. The bear maker named each bear and composed a little story to go along with each bear adding a little character to each one. My bear is named Nan, and I keep it close by at all times, as a constant reminder of my Dad, his patriotism, his sacrifices, and the love that he shared with me. This Christmas Bear is priceless and a BLESSING that continues to bring comfort and joy!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bear is the perfect Christmas gift, very thoughtful, and the kind of gift that keeps on giving. SHC

12:09 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

That's so wonderful. Thanks for sharing such a treasure with us!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

What a wonderful gift! How very creative to use the wool peacoat!
I'm sure you'll treasure it always...
:)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

How absolutely precious. Imagine making such adorable bears out of his pea coat. I'm sure you treasure this. What a wonderful memento of your father.

2:46 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

That is just so cute! and what a great idea too!!!! Something to treasure forever - Now that is a blessing in itself!!!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great and I am happy that you shared it with everyone!! What a treasure and a keepsake forever. I would never part with that if I were you. I would make sure that it gets passed on down in the family. Sandy

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister you are so good with words! I think you need to write a book.....I enjoy your blessings! You are and always will be a blessing to me! Love you CW

6:43 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That is awesome - what a clever person to come up with such an idea, and how blessed you are to be the recipient of her cleverness - and your sister's thoughtfulness!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

How sweet. What a terrific idea to cherish the memory of your pa.

9:37 PM  
Blogger ChristyR said...

My dad was in the Navy and I know how great those peacoats are! What a great way to share something of your fathers! Love the bear and the meaning it has for you!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Oh that is just so heartwarming Nancy! I just love that idea! It would be nice to have something cute and cuddly and made out of your Dad's Pea coat. Bestow my heart! Thanks so much for sharing this. :)

11:18 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Wow. You have an older sister Kathy, Too. This sounds like something mine would do. What a wonderful way to package remembrance. I have an old shirt that belonged to my father in a double zip-lock bag. This may sound strange, but after nearly 12 years it still has the endearing scent of my father's hugs.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy can we ever say enough about our daddy and all he gave us. I love your Nan bear and my Mattie bear. We are indeed blessed.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bear is just adorable. And what a sweet thing that your sister did by having them made from your dad's coat. I know it must be a tresure.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a wonderful idea. There is something so sweet about little bears anyway, and to have one made of all those precious things is extra special. I can imagine how much he means to you.

11:06 PM  
Blogger The Tiquehunters Wife said...

What a dear and wonderful way to keep your father's precious memory close to your heart!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hi, Nancy--I love reading your blog of blessings! It helps keep things in perspective! By the way, I tagged you over at my site...

10:24 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

OK, that made me cry! What a sweet bear, to be made out of your dad's peacoat. That sure is a blessing!

I'm back from my blogging break!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home