daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Friday, November 17, 2006

"SHE-BOSSES"

"SHE-BOSSES" are independent women that make decisions, openly express their opinions, and actively take leadership roles. This is a term that my Dad coined and used often when he was alive. He would jokingly say, "there is NO such thing as a SHE-BOSS"! Dad would usually make this statement when one of his three daughters (including me) would try to convince him that our opinion was right and his was wrong, or during times that we wanted to make decisions without consulting him. Using this sense of humor would always make us laugh and add humor to an otherwise difficult situation , allowing a calming down period to rethink the disagreement and then have a discussion without hostility. The result was three very independent daughters balanced enough to know that you can be anything you want to be in life... even if it is a "SHE-BOSS"! My Dad had many other "Pa-isms" ("isms" silly sayings or words of wisdom-"Pa" because that is what the grandchildren called him), which I hope to share in other posts. What a BLESSING he was to all of our lives with his special sense of humor, and to all of you reading this... always remember that a little humor can help even in difficult situations and that being a "SHE-BOSS" is a BLESSING indeed!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your dad was a very special man with a very special sense of humor. Thanks for sharing.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

You're right that a sense of humor can be invaluable!
"Pa" sounds like a special man and I look forward to reading more about him..
:)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Sounds like your Dad was out numbered! hehe! Glad he used his sense of humor to get through it all. Sounds like you had some pretty good debates there! lol

2:12 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

To have more girls in the family than guys I would say that your father NEEDED a sense of humor...don't ya think? That is a great memory about him. Keep writing about him. It is great to read. Sandy

2:18 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Sounds like your dad was very smart. He raised three daughters who can think for themselves. She bosses. I like that term. A lot.

2:39 PM  
Blogger The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Your Dad sounds like a wise and loving father! Also wanted to thank you for the tip on cleaning the quilt. Have a great day Nancy1

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks sister this made me smile!!! That PA what a great man!!!!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Well, now, Nancy, I LIKE that Pa-ism. Sounds like you'll have lots of great future posts from his wit & wisdom :).

Thanks for your thoughts over at my place :). And WELCOME to the Blogosphere--looks like you're just getting your party started!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Definitely sounds like a great way to duffuse an argument and rethink the situation. Sounds like Pa was a great guy indeed and certainly a blessing in your life. And what great memmories to cherish for a lifetime.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Sizemore said...

I love that term :) I can't wait to hear more pa-isms!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

"She-boss"..! I love it. Can I borrow it? It sounds like your Pa also had a lot of courage to raise three independent daughters. He was way ahead of his time.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my sister! I think we are all She Bosses! You have given a spot to share your blessings and your memories and what a blessing our Daddy was. I know he would be proud of you as a "She Boss". I know I am. Love you Kathy

7:23 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think I turned out to be one of those "She-Bosses!" Lucky my husband was attracted to that in me.

10:00 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

What a great memory. You left me smiling at the end of a very long day.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pa brought so much joy to our lives and he certainly coined a great term: "she-boss." I am proud to be part of a family of "She-Bosses," and I am glad that we can all be together next week. I love you, Aunt Nancy. Sally

11:56 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

As you may have noticed "between the lines" at Patterns of Ink are frequent mentions of my dad who, like yours, played an enormous role in my life. After nearly 12 years, I still think of him and miss him all the time. He is the "gaze" on the mantle in that Thanksgiving poem you liked. As you shared here in this post, it's a blessing to have had such people in our lives.
You may like this piece from my archives...
http://patternsofink.blogspot.com/2005/11/my-fathers-hands.html
and this one is a little lighter...
http://patternsofink.blogspot.com/2005/11/dream-pony_113323679281947396.html

3:50 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

That was a lovely post. Here is SA our children call their dad, Pa, it means Dad in the Afrikaans language! Cant wait for you to share the rest! Take Care.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home