daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Honesty

I always try to be honest and ethical in all situations. Today for some unknown reason, I was reminded of a time when it was very painful to be honest. My husband and I were going through a very difficult financial time and money was scarce. We had to count pennies and work extremely hard to stretch our dollars. My daughter and I made a quick trip to the drive through at the bank to cash her babysitting checks and to get some cash for lunch money. I handed her the money from the teller and continued to buzz along to our next stop. I ask her to take her money out and then put my cash in my purse. At the next red light, I counted my cash (as I said earlier I was counting every penny) and found that there was $50.00 too much. I had her recount her money and my money and sure enough there was $50.00 too much. Now let me tell you how easy it would have been to keep on driving and thank the Lord for this BLESSING! $50.00 would have made a big difference in my life at that time but honesty was a character trait that I was not willing to compromise. I turned around, rode back through the drive through, explained all of this to the teller, and asked her to recheck the transaction. Sure enough, she had given us $50.00 too much and was extremely appreciative of the fact that we had returned the money. I was BLESSED that day knowing I had set a positive example for my daughter- "honesty is always the best policy". She knew money was tight, she knew how much we needed that money but she also learned that honesty was an extremely important character trait to her mom and that she could trust me to be honest in all situations- even when it is painful.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire you and your honesty. Your daughter is fortunate to have witnessed this and learned from it.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

That's a great story Nancy - and a great lesson. I find that being completely honest is a real challenge - in my speech. I am horrified at how often I will "shade" things just a little to make a story more interesting or make myself look a bit better. It is a good lesson to learn.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great lesson for your daughter and I believe that God was showing you also. He was testing you to see what you would do. I have been in that situation also and giving that money back is always...always the right thing to do. Sandy

4:42 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It always amazes me when you tell someone they've made a mistake, and it's to my favor, they are so stunned that you're honest. They almost don't know what to do with it. Good stuff!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Wonderful lesson to pass down to your daughter, and no telling what blessings you received by your good deed in being honest. Nice Nancy...especially with times being so tough.

8:14 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

A wonderful story, Nancy. If we don't have our integrity, we don't have much.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Great story Nancy, and I'm sure that lesson made an indelible impression on your daughter..
:)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I've hada the opportunity to do this several times, Nancy. One time I really remember is finding a scrunched up $10 bill in the vegetables at our little local grocery store. It never occurred to me to do anything but give it to the checker. When I saw a little boy, about 11, crying because he'd lost the money his mother sent him to the store with, it was beyond gratifying.

Doing the right thing in a situation like this is one of the easiest ways I know to teach our children a strong life lesson.

The teller at the bank would have had to make up that deficit. I'm sure she blessed you for going back and returning that money.

9:15 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

I couln't agree with you more!!!!

4:57 PM  
Blogger ChristyR said...

What a great story. One time I accidentally walked out of a gas station with a pack of gum and didn't realize until later but when I went back there the next time I told them what had happened and paid for it. I know if I didn't, someone else would have and I couldn't live with that...even if it was just fifty cents! I really try to be honest!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Honesty is very important for a trusting relationship. It's good to know that you have instilled that very important moral character in your daughter. I hope that I am able to do the same.

10:53 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I heard it said again this week, "Character is what you are when no one is watching." I started a story a while ago called "Four in Corduroy" about a little boy who takes tulips to give to his mother. His father makes him return them. It turns out well, but what a hard lesson that was for me--I mean for the little boy. =)
I hope to post it in the weeks ahead.

2:59 PM  
Blogger gail@more than a song said...

Great story!
A very important character trait for us all to have.

5:01 PM  
Blogger The Tiquehunters Wife said...

There have been moments of temptation at times-what has helped me is to remember Psalm 139:1-4. As always Nancy, thanks so much for sharing your thoughtful and encouraging blessings!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

Wondeful story, Nancy!! I know how hard it must have been to turn around and give the money back. But your values helped you do it!! Good for you! And I know your daughter learned a lot from you that day!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home