daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Saving Graces

I have been reading the book Saving Graces by Elizabeth Edwards (she is the wife of John Edwards from North Carolina who is running for president), because I wanted to see how she dealt with the grief that surrounded her, when her son was killed in a car accident. I was very surprised to find that I grew to admire her more and more as the book progressed. I guess I did not expect this because of my conservative roots. I felt politically I would have very little in common with her way of thinking. I was wrong. This quote from the book sums up the - down to earth person that I met in Saving Graces, "I didn't want fluff, and I sure didn't want spin... I never pretended to be anything other than what I was." I think her motto could very easily be, "what you see is what you get" and being what God intended for you to be is a BLESSING indeed! The book was about grieving, living, conquering, and the power of community and friends coming together helping Elizabeth Edwards through it all. It was a BLESSING getting to know this compassionate North Carolina neighbor.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

I have read excerpts and I think she does sound like a very nice lady. And she struggles with her weight too!!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book but it sounds interesting. Was there much about the campaign?
shc

8:48 PM  
Blogger Werna Gail said...

Sounds like it might be a good book to read. I can not even imagine loosing a child...Lord comfort her as only you can.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

It's quite interesting when we find ourselves relating to people who are very different from us! I think it's a good reminder that at the core, we're all just in need of grace--maybe just in different forms.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the book! :-)

10:19 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

That seems to point out that mothers experience the same emotions where their children are concerned, regardless of the political party. I haven't read the book, but it sounds like a wonderful witness of strength and trust.

10:47 PM  
Blogger ChristyR said...

I think she projects herself as one classy lady and for real. I will be following him closely for the next election! Thanks for the review!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You know, I've always had that sense about her, too. I've always felt like in spite of the crazy world she must live in because of her husband, she is very, very down to earth. This sounds like a really good book. OK, onto my wish list it's going. Thank you so much for reviewing it for us.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

Sounds like it might be a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I can't imagine the grief on losing a child. I am going to try and reserve it from the library.
:)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Blessed said...

I read an excerpt from this book (It was in People magazine Extra) and it was really good. I actually thought by this powerful excerpt that I would enjoy this book.
Now after your opinion, I will put this book on my wish list.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

I remember reading about the accident when Edwards was running for VP. Hard to know how you could handle that as a parent. I really admire anyone who can survive such grief and do it with grace!!

9:41 AM  
Blogger linda t said...

I saw her on Oprah and felt the same way... she is so real and honest and down home...
One of the saddest stories I had ever hard... really made me want to read the book.
Thanks for the reminder to get it and read it.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home