daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Butterfly Blessings

Looks are often deceiving- this looks like the perfect photo opportunity ... a beautiful butterfly sipping the nectar from deep inside a fuchsia pink Mandevilla bloom. Instead it's a dead butterfly, stuck inside the bloom! So stuck, that when the bloom dies several days later and falls from the vine; the dead butterfly remains firmly trapped inside the bloom. A perfect specimen of the ill fated butterfly, ends up on the ground long after the pink color fades from the flower. The bloom decomposes into the surrounding dirt and the butterfly still retains its original beauty. You are probably thinking, what a blessing for me to witness God's creative handy work in such a unique way... and I AGREE! However, it's a double blessing because the very same thing happened to another butterfly just a few days before this and I didn't get a picture of it. So what happened to the butterfly... did it get stuck and die? Did it suffocate? Was it just time for it to die and it happened to be in the flower when death knocked at it's door? Was their a spider hiding inside, waiting on it's prey and slowly sucked the life out of the butterfly? I have no idea but it reinforces a concept my Dad taught me... "keep your eyes peeled" or you may miss the magnitude of God's perfect plan for every living creature and that is a BLESSING indeed!

8 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Beautiful butterfly and wonderful post :)
xo

10:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Susie, you are so faithful and loyal with your comments. Have a great week!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

What an amazing picture Nancy! I wonder all those same things. How did it all happen? I think that is very good advice. There is so much evidence all around us of the Creator - if we just take the time to look.
About the tatting - my Mom gave me a couple of little books that explained it all very clearly. There really is only one stitch, and then everything works off that. The more complicated patterns are beyond me right now. But I'm going to visit my Mom today, and she will help me get a little further along.
She uses a shuttle. I tried and tried to learn but couldn't seem to get it to come right. The needle was easy to learn. It came in a little case with three graduated sizes.
I'm sure there is plenty of information on-line. Very often there are videos for learning such things. When I have a bit more time, I want to look for some EASY patterns. I'm going to have to work my way up to the beautiful lace edgings my Mom makes.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Linda~ I think my inquiring mind helped me as a kindergarten teacher. I would ask them... how do you think this happened, or why do you think this happened? I got some very interesting answers over the years.

Thanks for the information on tatting. I'm excited about this and can't wait to find someone to show me how or find a video to help. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. hehe Thanks for taking the time to give me more information.

10:44 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

What a great photo and object lesson. I don't know the answer, but I do think but it's likely that the butterfly got in too deep, but the spider idea could also be true.
I was painting a clothes line pole once and saw a sparrow inside the cross bar. He had gotten into the bar fine but when he came to the eye bold (that held the line) he could not scoot backwards because it was against the grain of his feathers so he was trapped there until he died inside the bar. I used it as an example in a sermon once--of how sin draws you in easily but sometimes won't let you go.
Great post. Thank you for the kind comment about my Dad "biting off more than he could chew." You were right and I noticed in re-reading that comment that I had forgotten to thank you for that observation.
You are a very good observer.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tom~ I love the sparrow story and what a great sermon illustration... I will file that thought for future children's sermons!

Thanks for your kind comment... I try to always "keep my eyes peeled".

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I feel so sad for the butterfly but you know he died in a pretty way!! I am so sorry that I have been behind lately. We had a long vacation and well it just got me way behind. Hope all is well with you..

Sandy

3:26 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sandy~ Don't feel bad, I have times like that too. I do understand and I'm delighted to have you visit anytime that you have the time!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home