daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Old Foots

My dad at times would call my mom, "Old Foots"! I'm glad I asked him before he died , "where did that come from?" ... or I would never know the answer to that question. It seems when the grands were small he would say to them , "us OLD FOLKS need to go to bed, come on Old Folks" ... speaking to my mom. As you can see, that easily got changed to "Old Foots", by the grandchildren and for some reason it just ... STUCK. He called her "Old Foots" until the day he died. This picture that I took while caring for the twins, reminded me of "Old Foots". It's my foot and it is old (Cha-Ching cherry nail polish by the way), especially when compared to the tiny, precious, pinkies of my niece. I had Mattie in the bouncy seat that day, while I gave Ella her bottle. Mattie would push on my foot which made the bouncy seat BOUNCE! This entertained Mattie while she waited patiently for her turn to be fed. (Just one of the many"tricks of the trade" that I learned while caring for the twins.) Old Foots (my mom) is really feeling old these days. She has 24 hour care, there isn't much communication, she rarely smiles or shows any emotion. She knows who I am but little else... so you can imagine my reaction the other day when I said, "come on Old Foots let's go eat"- and she LAUGHED. It was a laugh I haven't heard in a long time, one that caused her entire face to light up and even put a slight sparkle back into her eyes. It was a blessing to see "Old Foots" back again... even for a moment! God is good!

10 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I love that story Nancy. I'm so glad you had that moment with your Mom. I am so thankful my Mom is still doing well. I count every moment as precious.
Have a wonderful weekend.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Linda~ Every moment is precious and God given. I try not to take any of it for granted. Have a great weekend!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Well, I think your "old foot" looks pretty good! I would never ever take a picture of my feet! But what a great trick - we do have to get creative when it comes to taking care of twins, for sure.

I'm so glad you made your mom laugh - just delightful. I was glad to hear Suzanne's laugh last night at the funeral home, in spite of all the sadness.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hi Nancy,
What a wonderful and touching story. I can well imagine what a special moment that was to hear your Mom laugh. Cherish those moments!
Your Cha Ching cherry toes look so cute next to those precious baby ones.
Great post..
xo

5:58 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Nancy..AW!! How sweet!! I loved that about your parents. Old Foots!! We are leaving soon for my dad's 90th birthday as you know. I never thought i would have my parents this long!! I am so blessed. So sorry to hear about your mom!! I know I have that coming..Sandy

6:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dawn~ My "Old Foot" stays in pretty good shape because I always wear flip-flops... therefore I work hard on those "Old Feet" to keep them decent.

Glad to hear Suzanne was able to laugh. Laughter is good for the soul and that's just what both of you need, now that your hearts are breaking. You are in my prayers.

Susie~ Cha-Ching cherry is great for "Old Feet"! Everytime I look at my toes, they bring sunshine to my heart!

Sandy~ You ARE blessed to have 90 year old parents. I know you are treasuring every minute you have with them. GOood luck on your scrapbook for your dad.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Awww, God is good. It truly is a blessing to hear little laughter. :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Cris~ Yes, I will take a smile or laugh from "Old Foots"- anytime, it's good for both of us and a blessing indeed!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

At first I didn't read the end of this post...it nearly made me cry. So very sweet and touching, Nancy!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Tammy~ I appreciate each time you stop by and leave your kind comments.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home