daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Monday, August 04, 2008

Slacker Stacker

Okay, I admit it, I'm a "slacker stacker"! And what's that, you may ask? It's a person (like me) that puts paperwork into stacks, upon stacks, upon more stacks, as an organizational tool. My term ("slacker stacker") resurfaced in the comment section of my previous post, as I thought about Ben's immaculate desk. I used this phrase more often when I taught Kindergarten because out of necessity and time, I would make stacks of current folders, in various places around the classroom so they would be "readily reachable" (like current finger plays, seasonal art, current events, current lessons, office memos, schedules, etc... ) Now my stacks are "readily reachable" and visible so that I will not forget them (old age). There is a method to this "slacker stacker"madness and that is a BLESSING. There's a stack for mail that needs attention, one for bills, one for currently going on activities, one for a notebook to write down messages, one for a smaller notebook to write down things that need to be googled, one for receipts that need to be dealt with immediately, and each stack is turned in a different visible direction. Of course, new stacks can be added at anytime, as long as they are turned in another direction (neatly). I do have files but once they go in the file folder and to the file cabinet they are out of sight- out of mind and no longer need attention. Well, this "slacker stacker" confession makes me feel much better (thanks for listening- I mean reading)... and that is another BLESSING for this day! Now, I'm off to take care of my "slacker stacker" stack of bills.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Too funny! I love it. I have stacks, but they're not that organized.

One week-end I went away for a conference or something, and when I came back, all of my piles, or stacks, had disappeared - my sweet DC had put them all away - out of sight! I told him thanks for the thought, but please don't help me like that again! I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for praying for Kristen - it's huge tomorrow.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

PS - re your comment - DC has sung with these guys for about 25 years - they sound really good.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dawn~ I agree... don't mess with my stacks because believe it or not- they are organized within themselves.

I will do my share of praying and I will try to remember the 2 hour time difference... or is it 3 hours? Anyway, gotch covered!

Tell DC how impressed I am! Now that he's older does he forget the words? I'm sure I would forget the words.

6:18 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Oh,my! I do the same thing. I stack things on my desk--which looks noting like your son's.
My fear is that if I put the things in the stack away (like in a file), I will forget that I haven't finished with them. I have learned this the hard way. Out of sight out of mind. There's nothing worse than finding an unfinished important task in a file marked "Do this right away" a week after it was supposed to be done. I wish I could say my stack system was as fool proof as yours. =)
Great post.
Tom

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tom~ Another "slacker stacker", welcome to the club. Don't you love the name I selected.

9:29 PM  
Blogger gail@more than a song said...

Oh I'm such a stacker! I have piles of things and mine don't look nearly as neat or organized as yours! I'm currently trying to work on my piles of magazines...then I end up tearing things out which makes for more but at least it's not as thick!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh Gail~ I forgot to even mention the "slacker stacker" magazine stacks rules and then the catalog stacks. I tear things out too and then I have stacks of torn out pages. A never ending battle for us "slacker stackers". Thanks for stopping by.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Lindah said...

"Slacker stacker!" Now I have a name. I can so identify with your filing method. I was so neatly organized in my younger days, with things filed away out of sight. I would be now, too, except for that phrase "out of sight, out of mind." I forget what I can't see. This even applies to my refrigerator. All storage containers must be clear enough that I can SEE what is in them. But these are good coping mechanisms, don't you think?

12:53 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I have stacks and I so need a better filing system! Actually, I think I am a lot like our friend, Patterns of Ink...afraid that I'll forget I'm not done with them! :)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

LindaH~ Welcome to the club of "Slacker Stackers"... I didn't realize there were so many of us.

Oh dear, I'm that way with the refrig too... if I think long enough maybe I can come up with a name for our refrigerator club too! At least I'm in great company here. Y'all make me feel better. (Can you folks from the north use the word y'all?)

Yes, it is a coping technique as I get older and I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. I was extremely organized when I first started teaching... I mean OCD organized! I can't go there again. Now I feel even better! Thanks you are a blessing me today!

Tammy~ You and Tom are right about forgetting the "stuff" in the stack. I just have to make an effort to weed out my stacks often (which I'm sure would be hard with 2 little ones). It also helps to use different colored folders and turning the stacks in different directions... then when I see that color or that stack, I remember to check the due dates. Let us know if you come up with something that works.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Re DC's memory - I think it would be a disaster if they had to memorize - they use music in front of them.

12:18 PM  
Blogger {Hilary} said...

I had no idea, until today, that I am also a "Slacker Stacker".
I just keep telling myself it's the lack of time I have but really, deep, down inside, I don't want to file.
I wish I had a system to my stacks. Can I use yours?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

***sigh*** I must admit, that I am a "slacker stacker" too. :P

10:57 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dawn~ What a relief... I'm sure there are some that can do it. Amazing!

Hilary~ Please use my system, add to it, change it up, or do whatever you need to. Having 2 small children requires extra work for many years so make life as easy as possible!

Chris~ Welcome fellow "Slacker Stacker"... there are more of us than I ever thought possible.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home