daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Black and White #3

(This is part three of a reflection on my friendship with Nita, a former student of mine, a former teaching assistant of mine (over 20 years), and a dear friend.)

Our Dads
They couldn't have been more alike if they had been identical twins, except for one fact- one was white and one was black! They never met but would have been instant friends because they had so much in common. They both loved their families dearly, especially their daughters (us) and both lives ended too soon, much sooner than their daughters were ready to live life without them; so we helped each other grieve and learn to live in a fatherless world. School was top priority for these two dads and if you ever got in trouble at school- you were in bigger trouble when you got home. You didn't cry needlessly or they would give you something to cry about! For some reason (Nita and I could never figure this one out), nothing good ever came out of South Carolina...??? Integrety was a character trait at the top of their list, and all of the kids in the family would get a "switching", unless the guilty party would "fess" up. Both dads loved to fish, garden, and spend time outdoors- but most of all they LOVED their daughters... and that is a blessing indeed!

12 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

LOL about the part about crying. My mom used to say that to us girls too. It's almost like the saying "Look at me when I'm talking to you. Don't you look at me that way!" LOL

It's a real blessing that the two of you were able to be there for each other for support. Being able to lean on one another is something that always leads to a strong friendship. I can already see why you guys have been such good friends for so long.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

My dad always said that about crying, too. I'm afraid I say it too.

Your story is remind me so much of this great show that was on for too short a time. I can't remember the name right now (my memory has gone on names lately), but it starred Annie Potts as the friend of a black girl whose name I can't remember either, during the 50s. Wonderful show.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Cris and Dawn~ Glad you both stopped by and I found myself saying "I'll give you something to cry for" to my children too. Like father- like daughter... and that is a blessing indeed!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

We must all be about the same era, because I heard that line about crying more times than I can count.
It's true, I found myself saying the same thing to my kids (but never ever say it to my grandkids!!)
xo

9:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sue~ Glad you are able to make the rounds again... it's great to have you back. My prayers continue!

I had to work hard not to say it when I first started teaching. The words just wanted to pop out. HeHe!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

So nice to read this article. I completely understand your relationship. More people need to have this kind more often. Sandy

10:09 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks for stopping by Sandy. It's good to have you back in the south again. I agree the world would be a beter place if we would could be more accepting of others.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Yep, my dad said that too a few times! I think it was a "dad" thing around or close to that era! And now I'm reading the replies...and I'm even more convinced! :)

1:15 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tammy~ I guess that's what their dad's said so it was just passed down. It's amazing to me that in bloggerville, we live in a variety of places around the world but have so much in common!

10:43 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

This has been such an interesting series, Nancy. I've been writing about "public speaking" using Obama as an example. I'm trying to be very careful not to judge in the recent controversy with his pastor, but I do include clips in contrast to Senator Obama's tone. You know I'm a Republican, but I do find hope for the country in his national acceptance, and it's a blessing to read of the relationship you and Nita have.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It's been awhile - hope things are okay with you!

9:55 AM  
Blogger {Hilary} said...

Happy Easter Nancy.
Just reading your blog is a blessing...and I consider myself lucky for finding your finding your blog!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home