daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Black and White #2

(This is post #2 about my friendship with Nita (not her real name), a former student that ended up being my Kindergarten assistant for 20 years. Please see the previous 2 posts for more on this interesting friendship. This photo is a "borrowed" picture ,which doesn't accurately depict the two of us, because I am 10 years older than Nita, however it does show the love that two individuals can share- regardless of the color of their skin.) Nita attended an all black school when she started to school. She was delighted when desegragation became law because her new teachers were more gentle and kind than the teachers from the all black school. She vividly remembers stern teachers that administered corporal punishment liberally. There was fear and intimidation which wasn't an ideal environment for learning. Nita was excited, as well as enthusiastic, about attending a new school and wasn't disappointed. She loved school, did her very best at each task, and was successful. As a student in my classroom, she was always talking and of course that led to being called down- many times- but the talking never interefered with her ability to get her work done. Actually, this ability to communicate with others- is one of her strongest qualities to this day. She has never met a stranger and that is a blessing indeed! (Post #3 will come soon, as time permits , so please come back for more about this unique friend of mine.)

13 Comments:

Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What a nice post, nancy!! Sandy

8:19 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Sandy, please come back for more. She is a very interesting lady.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I lived in Arkansas when the desegregation fiasco happened with Gov. Faubus. I remember being rather frightened with all the happenings. I'm so happy she had such a positive experience and that you are such good friends.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

She sounds like an amazing lady.

I do remember there was a black girl who lived a couple of houses down from us when I was a little girl (around 9 or 10). She was either adopted or a foster child, but we were friendly. True story - my sisters and I always wanted to lie out in the sun and get a tan in the summer because we were so fair skinned. One day, the girl came over and said she wanted to suntan, too. My mother thought that was so funny and said so, (not in a mean way at all) but the girl just said she was too pale and needed a tan. I'll never forget that! We laughed and laughed. WE never thought anything about the fact that her skin was so dark. I don't think children do.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dawn~ I do remember being frightened also but as it turned out... everything went smoothly in my school too. What a blessing that was!

Leslie~ I love your story. Nita would tease me about getting a tan and trying to catch up with her. We would even compare skin color. My hubby works outside and is always tanned. Nita would compare skin color with him and tell him that he had crossed over the racial barrier. She is such a funny lady and I am so blessed to have spent so much time with her.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

She sounds just like my husband. The talkative type who could make friends with anyone. I look forward to learning more about her. :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Chris~ She is not only talkative- she is intellegent, quick witted and so funny! I miss my daily laughs with her... it was almost constant and of course the kids loved it. Your hubby sounds like my spouse. I can't go to Wallyworld with him... it takes too long- he talks to and seems to know everyone!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Oh Nancy, I share your pain...

LOL :P

1:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Chris~ Too funny... we could compare stories. They say opposites attract and that is so true for me and my hubby- we compliment each other! hehe

6:33 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

The check arrived today - what a blessing! As I said in today's post, her dad is just overwhelmed with the love being shown by people here in America. That was very generous!

6:17 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I have enjoyed this series of yours and the "borrowed" picture is adorable. What a special friendship. I bet you miss your classroom time together.

7:47 PM  
Blogger gail@more than a song said...

Having grown up in the south, things were segregated here too for my growing up years. We live in a small rural/agricultural area now and things are still slow to change and it's very frustrating.
She sounds like a sweet person!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tom, Good to hear from you. My prayers for you continue as you deal with the death of your very special mom.

I do miss my classroom time with Nita. We could finish each others sentences. I am fortunate to be able to often stop by the classroom where she student teaches. Her supervising teacher is a very dear friend that I have know for 33 years. Nita is with the best of the best now which is a blessing indeed!

Gail- You are right... the south has moved at a snails pace in many areas. I have to hope that Nita and I made a little bit of difference in closing the gap.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home