daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Wedding Bell Blues

I suppose from my upbeat blog, nothing ever goes wrong life, everything is a blessing in disguise world... you would assume our daughter's wedding went off without a hitch! WRONG- let me share our first nightmare with you today. Nightmare number one: Burlington Bridal Mart (don't go there unless you are desperate) ordered Katherine's dress in mid-January. It arrived in late May and was an inch and a half too short. The manufacturer was to blame said Burlington ... the manufacturer said Burlington was to blame... the manufacturer did send an extra 2 yards of lace to add to the bottom of the dress... Burlington did TRY to add an inch and a half with the lace but... Katherine had to wear rhinestone flip-flops and her toes did show (she didn't like this at all)! She missed her bridal portrait date, got her dress 2 weeks before the wedding, had her bridal portrait made one week before the wedding and the gorgeous portrait arrived at the reception hall just hours before the reception (thanks to a very cooperative photography studio- local I might add). As you can imagine, this provided all of us with anxiety, stress, and sleepless nights for several weeks and of course we didn't need anymore stress added to an already stressful event. Lesson learned (which is a BLESSING indeed!)... don't go to the biggest bridal shop in North Carolina... go to your hometown folks that you trust and know! I think we could have done better ordering on line because she was a perfect size 10! Come back in a few days for nightmare number two!

9 Comments:

Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Nancy...You know you should not worry now. it is over with!! all is fine. I see you live in North Carolina. I dont know how far into NC but we are having a blog get together here at my house in October. If you would like to come you are very welcome. There are several that are coming..If you want more info just email me at grandys45@bellsouth.net
Sandy

3:48 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I guess we all have those "nightmare moments". The day of my wedding the bouquets for my bridesmaids and maid of honor arrived right on time - but they were the wrong color!! We smile over it now - not so much then.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Every bride wants her wedding day to be perfect! Sounds like you made the best of a problem situation. The whole side of my wedding cake caved in as it was placed on the table and had to be redecorated.
hugs!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I don't have any really good nightmare stories, but they make for good bad memories in the future! Sounds pretty stressful! I'll bet her rhinestone-covered toes weren't noticed by too many! I had to wear slippers because DC and I are pretty close to the same height and I didn't want to tower over him.

Glad it all finally worked out!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

I think we all have our own little horror stories when getting married. Regardless of how the dress turned out, I still think she looked beautiful. :)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Nancy, when our oldest daughter married for the second time, her own daughter, who was going to be the flower girl in the wedding, decided to trim her bangs right up to the roots. This happened the day before the wedding. No time for her hair to grow out.

A family friend, who was doing everyone's hair for the wedding, was able somehow to make my granddaughter's hair presentable for the occasion.

There surely is an unwritten rule that says no matter how perfectly you plan a wedding or other momentous occasion, something must go wrong. It's a given.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

What? Nightmare number two? No, Nancy!

OK, I'm arriving late for the reception, and having just come out of Mandy's wedding, I'm very afraid of nightmare number two because I know no matter how perfect it all seems to the guests, they.have.no.idea what happens behind the scenes to make the magical evening magical.

But honestly, I've read all the wedding posts and seen the photos and my word, what a beautiful bride! I'd never have guessed anything was wrong with her dress.

In retrospect, five weeks after our big wedding, I seriously wonder why we get so upset about these things. The bottom line is, it only matters to the main players.

The guests at our wedding never knew we ran out of ice. They never knew the cake almost fell over. They all had a great time and by the end of the evening, so did the bride and groom and even *gasp* me!

Weddings. I swear, I'm in the wrong business. OK. I'm in the business of being retired. But if I were in a business, I'm sure it would be the wrong one because it's not the wedding business. LOL.

Beautiful wedding, Nancy. Absolutely beautiful and if you're living on the same planet I'm living on, you're very, very glad it's over. Right?

11:36 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I thought Sandy would like the fact that she wore flip-flops. =)

No wonder you weren't writing those weeks!

You know I'm in the middle of some posts about my parents' early marriage challenges, but some time back--before you read at POI (before other bloggers began leaving comments anyway)--I wrote about a visit to my mom's house during which she and I were looking at her wedding book and I learned a story and fact I never knew.

My father had passed away in '95 and she remarried in 2001. It took a while for me to "accept" that even at my age... her story helped me do so.
Go to this link and scroll down to The Wedding Boook . Then read to the end of those short wedding posts. You'll see why that story was a blessing.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I watched Dr. Phil yesterday about "horrible weddings." Some unbelievable stories. But he said to them, "if these are the worst things that happen in your life, you are not living in the same place as the rest of the world." or something like that. It makes for great stories in the future, eh??

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home