daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Fledglings Flight

This frightened, bluebird fledgling sat in the opening of my bluebird box for several hours this week, before it mustered up enough courage to take flight. I've watched the mom all spring; making the nest, keeping the eggs warm, feeding the three babies, and on this day... sitting in a nearby tree, begging the tiny bird to spread it's wings and fly. The constant chirping from the mom finally gave the fledging the courage it needed to spread it's wings and fly to a nearby tree with ease. As I watched this tiny bird, I was reminded of the years of encouragement and effort that I too have put into getting my two precious adult children to take flight. Just like the mother bluebird, I knew they could do it on their own but they needed my reassurance that I was there for them... unconditionally! I am so BLESSED... they both did spread their wings and take flight, successfully, on their own. Motherhood has been the most rewarding and satisfying tasks of my entire life. On this Mother's Day, I wish all of you Mother's out there the best Mother's Day ever; knowing that your unconditional love, will give your fledgings the trust and courage they need to take flight! For the Mom's that have fledglings that have taken flight, give yourself a pat on the back, Motherhood is a difficult job! For my male readers, show your appreciation to a Mother in your life, even if it's not your own. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

15 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

That was beautifully said. I love the picture of the little one trying to get up the courage to fly away. It really is a picture of what we Mom's are endeavoring to do. Mine have all flown. It's a bittersweet time when they are finally off on their own, but it is also a time of great blessing. I'm loving this grandmother gig!!
Have a very special Mothers' Day.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, what a perfect Mother's Day post...the little bluebird getting up the courage to fly is something so many of us can relate to in one way or another. This is so sweet...
A very Happy Mother's Day, Nancy!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great mom you have showed me to be so many times! Thanks for always paving the way and showing me how to do the "KID" thing you are great teacher(of more than kindergarten or church kids time)! Mother! Sister! and..... Friend! I love you! Cheryl

3:32 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

That little bird reminds me so much of one of my daughters. Wanting to take flight but scared to do so. Sometimes we Moms have to give our little darlings a bit of a nudge and even at times a big shove and then we pray they take flight and soar. What a beautiful post. And Happy Mother's Day to you! :D

5:18 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Beautiful post Nancy! We always need to give our children wings and roots.
Happy Mother's Day :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too! This was a really great one. I have been talking to the kiddoes this week about baby birds taking off from the next (after one was killed by the neighbor cat in their yard - Kristen wrote about it).

8:35 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

Thank you for the very sweet words on my blog. And Happy Mother's Day!!!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

It has been many years since my three left the nest. Our oldest daughter will be 41 this year. Our son will be 40. Our youngest daughter will be 38.

All I can think of right now as we draw near to Mother's Day is how good it felt to hug my three and kiss them when they were little and how unbelievably sweet they smelled after a bath in the summer time.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What a great post!! That sums it up so beautifully!! Thanks for stopping by my Friday Feast!! I am not one that likes the word religious very well...never have plus I do not think we have the right to RATE ourselves when it comes to where we are spritually!! God only deserves that right!! Again thanks and you also have a great Mother's Day..Sandy

7:01 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

There's a robin's nest on the ledge outside my office window. The baby's haven't hatched yet (at least we can't see them yet).
Happy Mother's Day!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Nancy, what a beautiful post, and perfect for Mother's Day. How proud that momma bluebird must have been to see her baby fly on its own, just like mommas in the the human world.

Happy Mother's Day,

Josie

5:10 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Part 8 is up for both Kev and me, if you want to read them.

I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you for your words to Kev and to me. It has been a long, hard journey and the strength to carry on was supernatural. I will write on that soon.

Blessings! Daily!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Wray said...

So sweet!! It definitely is my goal to raise self-sufficient, world-ready, yet caring and compassionate young ladies. It's sad to think of them leaving some day, but I will be so pleased when they got out and make their own place in the world!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger gail@more than a song said...

Oh that was so sweet! My 4 have just about all flown the coop, I just didn't intend for them to fly so far away from me!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home