daily blessings

A blog created to show how much I am blessed each day.

Monday, December 08, 2008

One Last Gift

Another treasure was found on Thanksgiving day (see the post below), a Winterberry bush.  It was growing on Dad's grape arbor, choking out the grape vines. Had Dad lived to nurture and care for the Winterberry, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken over the grape arbor and the two could have grown together, complimenting each other.   

My younger sister from Michigan, taught me about Winterberry.  Each year she loved to visit NC in the early fall, just so she could go to the Curb Market and purchase a few dried branches of Winterberry; carefully taking it home for her fall arrangements.  I'm sure Dad heard this Winterberry story, year after year and decided to try to grow his own Winterberry.  He died unexpectedly and never got the chance to tell my sister that he had planted the Winterberry- just for her!  Imagine her delight, when I walked her to this corner of the garden, telling her I thought Dad had planted some Winterberry before he died.  The bush, at last,  had  grown large enough to produce the bright red berries and finally these two siblings noticed it's growth, intertwined with the grape vine.  A gift from heaven, that will keep on giving year after year, and that is BLESSING indeed!  

11 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, I can only imagine how that must have made her feel...I know if it were me, I'd feel SO incredibly touched!
What a sweet belated present!

2:54 AM  
Blogger nannykim said...

Wow, that was such a neat story.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Tammy~ It was incredibly touching and the kind that allows you to witness first hand, God's loving us so much that He allows our loved ones to "reach out and touch us" from heaven!

Kim~ Thanks for stopping by and enjoying my Winterberry story.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Definitely a gift from above. Great stories!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Julie~ It's great tp hear from you and you are right... a gift from above!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

A great heritage. I bought a lovely centerpiece at Hobby Lobby this year and I wonder if that is what the red berries are. I should send you a picture.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Dawn~ I bet it is the same. The green leaves fall off during the winter, unlike other hollies. You find the best stuff at Hobby Lobby (your favorite place). I wish we had one.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

Awww, now I'm gonna cry.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Cris~ Me too... but they are good tears. Tears to remind me how special my dad was and how much he loved his girls!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a lovely story Nancy. If we are watching, the Lord delights in giving us special blessings that bring us such joy. I know that you are always watching.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Linda~ Yes, HE does delight in blessing us and I try to seek them out with gratitude and humility. God is good!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home